As you depart the pier you will begin noticing the extraordinary in Costa Rica… The green. The luscious… The life! Costa Rica is really a country that is described by their daily motto: Pura Vida… Pure Life! and nowhere in this macrodiverse country this pure life shows as it does in the Caribbean Coast region.
It is a place full of life even in the pasture areas or the bananas plantations, you will see how life here smiles and laughs at its own abundance!
You will be passing some towns on the way to the boats as your guide gives you a glimpse of the culture and history of this great country.
As you arrive to the dock, the boats will be waiting for you to hop on and start the real trip…
When traveling through the Tortuguero canals, the most common reaction is simply a speechless open mouth. The infinite amount of green shades, the huge trees, the lavender colored hyacinths in bloom on the aquatic grass, the vast ivies covering the gallery rainforest makes the Tortuguero Canals the most popular tour of them all.
Chances to see wildlife here are very high, however, life is so thick and so dense in these forests that it is all extra… The beauty is everywhere and you are part of it!
This is a tour that will reconcile you with our Mother Earth… this is where you realize it is not only a matter of survival… The rainforest is a gift and a privilege for those in its realm. And at the end of this tour this legacy will be in your mind and heart forever.
As you are back to the dock snacks and fruits will be waiting for you.
On this tour, -and either on the way in or the way back- you will also stop at a banana plantation and Packing House. The Caribbean region of Costa Rica was born and raised by banana companies. The commercial production of the fruits started here actually, with the birth of Chiquita Banana. And you will be able to witness the marvels of this crop that is, up to this day one of the main exports of the country.
From the small flowers to the boxes, the bananas are a particular dimension of life. You will see the workers at the fields, and the way they pull the heavy bunches through the plantation. You will see the women at the processing plant, choosing the fruits, washing the fruits and getting them ready for the waiting container… And don’t worry if it is time for bananas… There is a crop every single day of the year! (Except on Sundays).
This will make you value the fruit forever… And this is our goal, and what traveling is about: Changing lives.
Back in the port of Limon we will have a sightseeing tour through the city before getting you back in the ship.
So, if you want an unforgettable trip where the rainforest will touch you and a learning and discovery experience that might change the way you see things….. this is the one for you!
What to bring?
- In terms of shoes… Anytype of shoes can do. Although at the banana plantation it might be easier of you have tennis shoes or similar on.
- Shorts, skirts, the place is pretty warm and so is the banana plantation. However because of the AC the bus can be a bit chilly, so bring a light jacket.
- Repellent and Sunscreen. You will be in the rainforest, and in the tropics. And even if under the canopy (In the forest) the UV tropical sun rays trespass anything. On the other hand, mosquitoes are the lords and owners of the rainforest. You are a visitor. So, simply wear your repellent.
- Camera, and enough memory in it!
- If you want to bring a rain jacket is fine. Rain ponchos are recommended.
- Binoculars are really advised. Every now and then there are amzing wonders up in the canopy.. the Howler and Spider monkeys and all sorts of herons and egrets can be common visitors in the same areas we go.
And certainly… Your appetite and credit cards! The shopping in these areas is quite unique.
What is included?
- Luxurious Transportation
- Bilingual Specialized Tour Guide
- Tortuguero Canals and Rainforest Boat Tour
- Banana Plantation Visit